Friday, October 12, 2007

This Person Makes Me Sick




I am sickened by Paula White. I do not normally say such things, especially in writing, about other people, even people who are guilty of very bad behavior. But I am literally sick in my stomach reading about this false teacher who is bilking God's people and leading them astray. She is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and anyone who buys her materials or goes to her conferences will be consumed (and is being foolish).

I printed the article below in full. It can be found at this site: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/religion/stories/MYSA082407.01B.paulawhite.347acf0.html

or click here.

(I also wouldn't trust Rick Hawkins as far as I could throw him . . . avoid these deceivers)

Here's the article:

Evangelist power couple is splitting up

Web Posted: 08/25/2007 11:54 PM CDT
Abe Levy
Express-News
TV evangelist Paula White, who is a frequent speaker at a San Antonio church where she recently formed a ministry partnership, and her husband, Randy, announced Thursday night that they plan to divorce after a nearly 18-year marriage.

The split was made public during a Thursday evening service for their Tampa, Fla., congregation, Without Walls International Church, which they founded in 1991 and which became one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing churches.

What her forthcoming divorce will mean for Family Praise Center in Northwest San Antonio remains unclear. White plans to keep Tampa as her base and continue preaching there, but she's putting down some roots here. She bought a nearly $700,000 home outside Boerne earlier this month, about the same time she was giving a five-week sermon series at Family Praise Center, founded by Bishop Rick Hawkins.Increasingly, White, Hawkins, his son and the San Antonio church have developed closer links.

White is a rising TV evangelist who has widespread appeal among evangelical Christians, particularly women. Her "Paula White Today" show is broadcast nationally on major networks such as CMT and BET and her Life By Design empowerment conferences, based in New York City, are spreading to cities nationwide.

The Whites told the Tampa Tribune no infidelity was involved in their breakup, which they described as "amicable."

"This has been an ongoing process and journey," said Paula White, standing on stage with her husband. "But God is always faithful. God always carries you through the dark places of life."

Randy White told the audience Paula White would continue preaching all over the world and on television. "I'm going to pastor this church and focus on being a great dad," he said.

Paula White first came to Family Praise Center in November 2005 to speak at a church-sponsored conference. She began to speak more regularly here and in recent months has led Sunday morning and Wednesday night services, recorded shows for syndication and led a fundraiser for a teen-pregnancy center.

Will Norris, staff pastor and communications director for Family Praise Center, told the San Antonio Express-News two weeks ago that the church and White have a ministry partnership that includes joining forces on community outreach and receiving advice from her on how the church could grow.

Norris did not return numerous phone calls seeking details about the partnership. Reached after the church's Wednesday service, he repeatedly declined to comment, referring all questions to White's spokeswoman Sheila Withum of WDC Media. The California-based public relations firm also has done work for Family Praise Center.

Withum told the Express-News two weeks ago that San Antonio was a likely site for Paula White to establish a Life By Design center, a place where monthly conferences would be offered. The first center was established in New York City, where White has held two conferences in recent months and where she owns a Trump Tower condo.

Phone calls and e-mails to Withum the past couple of weeks were not returned.

Family Praise Center was founded by Hawkins in 1993 and his son Dustin Hawkins is pastor. Both men got divorced in February.

Norris said neither Dustin nor Rick Hawkins was available for comment. Calls this week to Rick Hawkins' home were not returned.

During the Wednesday night service, Dustin Hawkins gave the main message, noting that he and his father attended Paula White's Life By Design conference Sunday in New York City.

Paula White told the Tampa Tribune that her involvement with Family Praise Center as a ministry partner was minimal but did say she is serving as the "spiritual overseer" for Dustin Hawkins. Meanwhile, Rick Hawkins is a board member for White's newly formed PWM Life Center Inc., a tax-exempt, nonprofit agency created in February, according to documents filed with the Florida Department of State's Division of Corporations.

Rick Hawkins is known in San Antonio for founding the School of Excellence in Education in 1998, the city's largest charter school district that caters to so-called at-risk students and includes a high school named after him.

Paula White is scheduled to speak at Family Praise Center on Sept. 9 and at Cornerstone Church on the North Side on Sept. 23.

Her background — growing up poor in Mississippi and overcoming a troubled upbringing — resonates with her audiences, especially African Americans, who make up the majority at her Tampa church.

Family Praise Center counts among its members a high number of African American and Hispanic people. White and Hawkins are Anglo and have been active in inner-city outreach.

White's lavish lifestyle, which includes a private jet, a Mercedes and a $2.1 million home in an elite neighborhood in Tampa, has generated criticism. Such amenities, she says, reflect God's blessing and notes her frequent donations to worldwide humanitarian causes.

White bought a 3,300-square-foot home just east of Boerne near the Kendall-Comal county line this month. The property, appraised at $681,570, is on 3.7 acres and includes a pool, guesthouse and three-car garage.

During a speaking engagement Aug. 12 at Family Praise Center, White arrived on stage from a side entrance and took a seat at the front next to Rick and Dustin Hawkins. Several security guards stood watch nearby.

After the service, she exited into a private room. Her message that morning touched on common motivational themes she's stated in speeches and books about overcoming obstacles through faith.

"We are in the last days of the greatest outpouring of God's spirit and even though we ugly, come on, some of us have a mess," she said. "We don't look like ministry material. We don't act like ministry material. But we are fruitful because we have a heart towards God that is pure and hands that are clean."

Often, her sermon brought standing ovations.

Lucia Perez, a Family Praise Center member, said some people there were wondering why Paula White has been frequenting the church in recent months, but ultimately the only issue affecting them was how to deal with the abnormally large audiences she generated.

"At first, people questioned it. It was like, 'Wow, she's been here a lot,'" Perez said. "But the only thing different (for church members) was that the church was packed."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for something new to comment on, but I've never heard of her before. She sounds like she has the same logic so many people have today. Wealth aside, hardened hearts seem to be the majority.

Churches...pastors, with true integrity, are hard to find. I'm glad I found Harvest.

Anonymous said...

I'll second that, Andy. I am also very glad to have found Harvest. I wanted to take a sec and say "hi" to Pastor Mike. We met briefly the past couple of Sundays. Pator Mike, I'm the PK (preachers kid) that spoke to you prior to the 2nd service a couple of weeks ago. I've been quietly lurking in the back row of church for about a year now and also am an avid "lurker" to this, and now your political blogs!
Back on topic, it seems to me that these kinds of people tend to self-destruct. I also have never heard of her before. I wonder if Vegas will take odds on how long until she implodes. All kidding aside, I don't believe she and her ilk could possibly sustain there current lifestyles. I would say to simply ignore them but the danger is they clearly have a lot of confused people following them and affording this wealthy lifestyle. I am sure time will tell.

thechickenwithherheadcutoff said...

Wow--I hadn't heard of her before, either. What a false teacher! Another prosperity preacher, catering to those "itching ears" by telling people what they want to hear--a "feel good about yourself" ministry. She sounds like a female Joel Osteen. She actually had this ad on her website with a beautiful photo of the golden mercy seat: "Day of Atonement September 22nd--Honor GOD with your Atonement Offering! Click here to give!" (to Paula White Ministries, of course) "Day of Atonement: a Biblical day that GOD established as a sacred day of repentance and promise with you. It is the beginning of GOD's new year, and contains Seven Powerful Blessings for you!" (If, of course, you give money to Paula.) Sigh--there are so many tings wrong with this appeal that I don't know where to start, except to say along with Sir Robin of Monty Python, "Run away! Run away!"

Mike Greiner said...

Chris, Greetings back at you. The good news is, no matter where we lurk, God lurks within us, patiently waiting till we test to see if His grace if for real. Martin Luther's last words, reportedly, were, "We are truly all beggars." There is so much grace in that reality.

As for this guy she is hooking up with, Rick Hawkins, I've met him. my brother was once a youth pastor at his church. In fact, my brother was at that church before the split that made him a pastor. I hate to say it, but I have knowledge about Rick Hawkins that is less than flattering. Let's just say that he is less than sexually pure. It is not a surprise to me that he divorced his wife recently. My brother and his wife have been "recovering" from their time at "Family Praise Center" for several years now, and live in the Amish country a couple of hours up the road. God looks out for His own.

Mike Greiner said...

Mindy, whoa. celebrate the day of atonement by giving to her? man. that is wicked. very wicked.

You know, I can't put her with Olsteen. She's openly immoral. Olsteen is just cotton candy sickening. This woman is stomach cancer. may she repent in tears and find mercy.

she has a show on CMT and one on BET. Like many of the health and wealth folks, it is the poor who know her. She also appeals to urban blacks and hispanics. the people who want prosperity love her message but she is the only one who prospers.

this weeks sermon, by another providential coincidence, is on this subject --though I just "happened" to read this article on her this past week.

as for Monty Python, how about, "She's a witch! She turned me into a newt!" (I got better)

Mike Greiner said...

Andy, thanks. You're kindness challenges me to keep pushing on for Jesus. Let's push on together.

Unknown said...

....her and her ilk have already set thier congrgations up for them to be able to "fall" and not take a big hit $ wise.
They set up the finances to not be touched and to skirt the spirit of the law.
They also run in "circles". "I preach at your church and you preach at mine". The going rate for one nights worth of preaching is $5,000. Plus all exspenses paid. First class tickets only (direct flights only)Of course you want to put your guest speaker in as nice a hotel room within reason....but you will also need to pay for at least two other rooms for whoever else they bring. You may also have to give extra cash so they can tip.
All this and more paid for by the churches they speak at and never by them.

Unknown said...

http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/page/2/

Go here for more info

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to really add to this post, I just relish in the opportunity to quote from Monty Python movies.

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Nick said...

So what do you think of that Joel Osteen guy that is on TV all the time? (I probably got his name wrong, but I think I am close)

Mike Greiner said...

Well, Joel reminds me of Norman Vincent Peale, who started a church in NYC based on the power of positive thinking.

Cotton Candy. However, with him, I believe what you see is what you get. He's not faking. with the Whites, I think it's all a show and all about the fame and the money.

I've never heard Olsteen say anything that I thought was too off-base, but he never says much that cuts at all either. Soft and Fuzzy, self-help, power of positive thinking, plus God. I couldn't take much of it if went to his church. Like taking more than a bite or two of fudge that is too sweet.

We live in a world with a good deal of ups and downs and complexities. Such a simplistic approach to teaching the Word of God requires one to be selective and leaving out much that people need to get by.

All that to say, I wouldn't recommend him as I measure the office of Pastor as outlined in the Bible. But if someone just wants a pep-talk . . .

Anonymous said...

The first time that I went to Family Praise Center I wallked in and saw an ATM machine in the lobby. All I could think of was Jesus turning over the money changers table in the temple. But I decided to go in and not try to judge the church or the minister, who I had never listened to before. Well could you guess what the topic of the sermon was that day (and probably quite often), it was on tithing! The final time I went there I was asked to go by someone at Christmas time, who wanted to see Paula White preach there that Sunday. Not only did she and Rick ask for $, they asked for EVERYONE to give $130.00 as somekind of a Christmas love ofering to the church. All I could think about was the families that would have to use their childrens christmas present money to finance Hawkins new car or trip (w/ or w/o Paula?). My heart goes out to that congregation, that they were led on like that. But I am also thankful to God that He gave me discernment to know that something was not right in that building, and I should'nt give His money to that man.
Paul -- San Antonio,TX

Mike Greiner said...

HI Paul,

I have a relative who was once a member there. I've met Rick more than once, even had lunch with him. Never had a good feeling about him. Then some things happened between him and my family members --things in which he acted sinfully --I knew then that he should not even be a pastor in God's Kingdom. Now, 4 years later, all this mess comes out.

His chickens are coming home to roost.

Anonymous said...

I am in shock about finding out about this story. I visit this wonderful church whenever I am in the San Antonio area. I am active duty army and whenever I am at Ft Sam doing some training i attend this church. My wife and I found this church and attended it together from April thru September 2004. The last time I was in S.A., (without my wife) was in 2005 for about six months. I loved the power on this pastor and the people connected with the church. Will Norris, one of the leaders there was an inspiration whenever I spoke to him. The service was always comforting to my spirit. I only know about all of this because I wanted to look at the live streaming of the Sunday service. I hope that God will heal the hearts of all that are affected to include Dusty (the pastor's son) and his wife. I am still in shock. I think that God will continue to favor those in the church that have a pure heart towards God. God will deal with Pastor Rick and the church body. I was planning to attend the service in December when I would be in S.A. doing some training at Ft Sam Houston. My wife will be surprised to hear of this. May God continue to bless all the people of the divorces and the church body.

Mike Greiner said...

army medic,

It is sad. But true. The guy who commented here named "Mark" is my brother. He was a youth pastor at this church. He gave his life to Christ at this church. He was manipulated by the pastor, as was his wife. I won't tell you his story, but if he did (and I know it is true) you would see the sadness and pain that comes when one who should shepherd instead consumes the sheep.

Of course, Family Praise Center has had many good Christians among it's numbers through the years. That is what makes these false leaders all the more ugly.