Friday, January 18, 2008

Seems Simple Enough To Me





A member of my church in New Jersey once asked me about women in combat. Her dad, a good friend, said it was okay with him. I told her it is a bad idea. I'm against it.

Why? Does the Bible prohibit it? Completely! But, not explicitly, unfortunately. The Bible portrays men and women as different and with differing roles. But further, the Bible shows that men and women being different are to relate to their worlds and each other differently.

With that in mind, I said it was a sad country indeed that would ask it's women to protect it's men or would send its mothers out to do battle. Furthermore, I pointed out that it isn't practical. Men act differently when women are around. They are more apt to show off, flirt,other things (!) which will lead to morale issues. Also, men are more likely to take foolish risks in combat if women are there, for internally they are naturally motivated to protect women. Also, women are not as strong (in general --Martina Navatralova being the exception) or fast, etc. Add to that, God made women to carry babies. What could be more important to our species! We should not send them out to catch bullets. I offered many reasons like this.

Let me add that women in the military and women in combat are two different questions. Women can fulfill certain non-combat duties and be in the army. But they should not be in combat situations.

Now, this is not PC. But who cares. PC isn't very smart.

I happened upon an article today by John Piper that sounded much like my own opinion. I love it when people have opinions that support mine! So I am going to give you a little taste of that article and link to the rest.

I'd love to hear your thoughts also.

Here it is, and here it can be found.

If I were the last man on the planet to think so, I would want the honor of saying no woman should go before me into combat to defend my country. A man who endorses women in combat is not pro-woman; he's a wimp. He should be ashamed. For most of history, in most cultures, he would have been utterly scorned as a coward to promote such an idea. Part of the meaning of manhood as God created us is the sense of responsibility for the safety and welfare of our women.

No comments: