Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not So Good for China...


When I traveled in China, one of the things that impressed me most was the modesty of the women. They dressed to be pretty, to be sure, but they did not dress in the tight shirts and low cut blouses of the American fashion industry. It was remarkably relaxing to not have to be confronted with all the details of every female body that walked by.

Unfortunately, I saw on the news today that Beijing is opening its first Hooters. I want to go on record to say that Hooters is not a place for Christians. I know, I sound legalistic on that, but seriously folks, think about it. The name has nothing to do with owls. Furthermore, tight shirts and hot pants are there for one reason: to entice men's imaginations towards women that are not their wives. The fact that our society tolerates a place with such a name is to our shame. But, in America, we are used to it, and not surprised.

But in China, it is a huge step down. "Sex sells" is what Madison Ave, NY, knows. I guess they are learning it in Beijing. May the gospel go to the people faster than the marketeers.

Thoughts?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think you're tired of it? I'm a woman and I'm tired of it too!

Anonymous said...

Even in my other life, I never cared for the hooters outfits or...theme. Never tried their food though, but after a few weeks of yak butter tea, I might find myself running towards one, drooling at the thought of hotwings. After describing yak butter tea (with chunks of cheese) to my wife, she'd probably even beat me to the door.

Mike Greiner said...

Andy,

you make a great point! perhaps just use "take out" would avoid the issue but still deliver the wings!

Anonymous said...

How naive and dangerous. Who gets hurt you ask J.P.? Answer: We all do!

As for the yak butter and wings comparison.... They probably love the very food you think is repulsive! A friend who is a missionary in China had a traditional American Christmas dinner with his new Chinese friends and they HATED the mashed potatoes and couldn't understand how we could eat them (and love them.)

Mike Greiner said...

Yeah, the Chinese tastes are somewhat different. They are just beginning to try cheese in many areas --and that seems to be on pizza and burgers. Who would want to eat rotten milk.

The Yak-butter tea is really Tibetin, who don't consider themselves part of the rest of China (even though the Chinese do!). It's not that bad. Hot wings are better, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Hot wings are only good (imho)with Bleu Cheese dressing though... more rotten milk! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have never been in a Hooter's, but I have had their wings, and they are so good that those girls could be wearing Gorilla outfits, and they would still do a booming business.

I have no problem with the outfits, not that I would wear them (that, you wouldn't want to see), or ever want my daughters to, but it is free will. Nobody makes them get jobs at Hooter's and nobody makes you eat there.

We live in what is supposed to be a free society, and we don't get to impose our ideas of morality on others (well, we can try, but they don't have to listen). You say, "May the gospel go to the people faster than the marketeers." Maybe the marketeers will drive people to the gospel.

Sometimes, and for some people (myself included), there has to be an error of your ways, to see the error of your ways. I had to do some really awful things to realize that was not the kind of person that I wanted to be. That was my path.

Mike Greiner said...

Hi Julie,

actually, I am not tryint to outlaw hooters or shut them down. I'm just saying that selling women's bodies is prostitution, soft-core or not.

as for legislating morality, that is what legislation is. Murder is morally wrong so its against the law. it is illegal for women to stand in the street nude. Why? because at the time the laws were made, that was the shared morals of the culture.

of course, I'm not judging people for being immoral. I'm immoral too! I just want them to know how to be forgiven by God!

my point was it's a shame to see a culture have the morality it traditionally accepts, and an aspect that is in line with God's ways, be invaded by immorality just so hooters can make a buck.

As for the gospel, there's no stopping that. China has about 100 million Christians, mostly underground. They are the biggest church in the world! The gospel will go forward.

I still don't like Hooters. it is insulting to women and appeals to the worst in men.

but I like you, Julie. Thanks for the conversation.

Anonymous said...

thanks Mike for saying it like it is and standing up for standards that aren't spoken about in society. It seems as though we have been desensitized about the whole sex issue. Keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

What would you think of an establishment named after a part of the male anatomy?