Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Am Going To Attempt The Impossible



Right now, I do not know anything about the NCAA tournements, for women nor men. Sure, I know that the perennial favorites are probably in there somewhere. North Carolina, Duke, Tennessee women, UConn, blah, blah, blah, will all be playing in the 2007 addition of March madness.

At this time of year, people who paid no attention at all to basketball tune in, get acquainted with the teams, and pick their "brackets." Of course, they're always wrong, because very few pay attention to basketball in college and just parrot what they hear on the sports shows. IN any case, I'm going the other way.

Instead of brushing up on my NCAA basketball, I'm going to try to avoid the bracket-frenzy coming at me from every angle. No office pools, not friendly competition, no checking it out in USAToday, no wondering who will make the Sweet-16, or the Elite 8, or the Final 4. I will even try to avoid discovering who the champions are for as long as I can.

Like the cop said to the doctor in "The Fuguitive", (when the doc said he didn't kill his wife) "I DON'T CARE!"

What about you?

6 comments:

Nick said...

The committee snubbed my Drexel Dragans, so I am less enthused than normal.

Plus I stink at picking brackets.

But I do it anyway.

Mike Greiner said...

the committee didn't even discuss my Nittany Lions . . . of course, to be fair, that's not really a basketball team.

in fact, I think the Nittany Lions men's team is trying out to be the team of white guys that travels around as the permanent opponent to the Harlem Globe-trotters.

They're not even good enough for that.

RoboSteve said...

Ooooooh, now you're getting personal! :-)

I love this time of year: NCAA Tourney, hockey playoffs on the way, baseball ramping up, getting in shape to play softball (gets harder every year!), working the yard/garden.

My picks for the tourney are usually from the heart, not the head, so I do lousy. I'm thinking that some year the Big East will get all four teams in the Final Four!

You've set yourself a mighty difficult challenge. We'll try not to remind you of the Irish victories when we see you on Sundays....

Anonymous said...

I for one love March Madness because for me that means it is almost over and I will soon have my husband back. He orders the college basketball package and spends the entire college basketball season watching the most obscure games he can find. Yes, he does have a job (love the DVR).
So I don't care who wins as long as they do so quickly.

Unknown said...

Drexel decided to show the selection committee how wrong they were by losing their opening round game in the NIT. "That'll teach 'em to snub us."

Anonymous said...

Drexel decided to teach the selection committee a lesson for snubbing them, they went out and lost their opening round game in the NIT. Vindication is sweet.